A Visit To Coney Island


I needed to get away from my computer, escape my hot little room.  Go see the ocean . . . soak up the rays of the sun . . . feel the sand beneath my feet. 

Coney Island!

It was around 15 years after the scenes in this film were shot that I spent summer days here, but my childhood memories of this magical place are very similar to those depicted. 

Yesterday the clouds were rolling overhead and at one point a cool rain drizzled down.  It was a weekday and not very crowded. Along with the sound of the ocean and the open sky, and that inspiring open horizon line, I do love the seas of humanity for observation of my species.


 
Bottom photo is of entrance to subway station near the Aquarium.

"The Beach" - Jonathan Richman

Well the beach be one of the best things we got,
Cause it's not what you have on but what you not.
No more silly clothes for you,
No more shoes no necktie too,
And the beach be one of the best things we got.

Well now the beach be one of the best things there be,
Well the fashion show is there for you to see.
See whose bum you like the best,
See who's got a hairy chest,
And the beach be one of the best things there be.

I say the beach be one of the best place to go,
I say the beach be one of the best things that I know.
Cruddy sugar lemonade, but I love people when they're on parade,
And the beach be one of the best things that I know.

I said the beach be one of the best things we got,
Where it's not what you have on but what you not.
And I want that stink and I want that sweat,
In fact the beach be better than most things get.
In fact the beach be one of the best things we got.
Where it's not what you have on but what you have not.

Cruddy sugar lemonade, but I love people when they're on parade,
And the beach be one of the best things we got.
Where it's not what you have on, it's what you have not
. 
  

Click on photos to enlarge

VideosRain On Sand and A Quiet Day At The Beach



Comments