Weaving, by bicycle through Prospect Park

Continuing to work my way through the films of Spike Lee, tonight I watched "Mo' Better Blues". There is a scene in it where Spike Lee and Denzel Washington are riding their bikes through Prospect Park. It brought a smile to my face as I had done just that about 5 hours earlier, my first real bicycling spin through the park since I moved back.



I know and love Central Park, and have requested someday to have my ashes scattered there, but even though I've lived in Brooklyn previously, perhaps 5 or 6 years total, on two different occasions, my exploration, hence knowledge, of Prospect Park is minimal.

Click images to enlarge.

Not a planned or mapped journey, I simply rode and observed, often getting off the main thoroughfares to see what surprises awaited on the smaller trails, catching glimpses a wide range of nature and structure.

The Prospect Park Audubon Center at the Boathouse (1905)


The similarities between the landscape architecture of the two parks are many  -  both were designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (as was the Mount Royal Park, Montreal, which I am also familiar with.) The most striking difference to me in Prospect Park was the lack of the tall buildings around the periphery - which in Central Park give perspective to the idea that this is a sanctuary within a metropolis. That lack of real estate (wealth) is probably also reflected in the fact that I kept coming across parts of the park that seemed not so well maintained.

Comments