Last Weekend (Part 2, an evening at Coney Island)

Friday night, August 6. A late afternoon/evening at Coney Island.
  
After a bike riding tour of various neighborhoods - Clinton Hill, Bedford Stuyvesant, Ditmas Park, and through Prospect Park - Pam and I came home and chose to drive an automobile out to Coney Island.

I spent many childhood summer days at Coney Island in the 1950s.  This clip from the 1940's is very reminiscent of my memories.

Motion sickness and fear of heights have always kept me from most of the bigger rides - although I have very strong memories of the one time I dared to ride The Cyclone. I know how to scream.


It was a magical time, laying on a blanket in the late afternoon sun - a glorious evening coming in - the ocean and boardwalk - the sunset - the people creating impromptu situations to sing and dance - an amazing spectrum of humans, so many different races and cultures, of varied ages, indulging and delighting in this special space by the ocean - where the "amusement" flows way out beyond the "park" - beyond the crazy rides and crazy food - a strange celebration, a big party - with couples and families, young and old, and groups of every kind - delighting, reveling.


It all pulsed with energy, lights. excitement. (More than a couple times various aspects of the partying throb of the place made me think of Burning Man.)

















Photo of me by Pam.

The evening was capped with a rather spectacular fireworks display right on the beach.

Click on images to enlarge.

Comments