Recreating. Almost a half century later.



The corner


Magical sky above as I arrive in Bushwick, Brooklyn - where I lived between the ages of 10 and 15. Give or take. Need to check dates.
Click on images to enlarge.



In my revisits to the city over the decades I have not taken the time to get to this neighboorhood and walk the streets again. I decided it was time and rode my bicycle the three miles there.
 
243 Covert Street



It began in 5th grade - my mother scooped me up from school - St. George Ukrainian Catholic on 6th Street in Manhattan (we lived on Avenue C) - and took me to our new home at 243 Covert Street.  When I asked her when my father would be getting there from work, she informed me that he wasn't moving with us.



This was the neighborhood I "grew up" in.  I started spending all my free time in the streets. A big change from the Lower East Side, which was mostly Eastern European immigrants, I now had black, Puerto Rican, and Italian friends.


I loved to play ball games. Stick ball was my favorite. Also curb ball and handball - the latter which we played off the bakery wall on the corner (now a Chinese Restaurant) - until the owners came out, again and again, to complain about the sound inside the store.

There was also tag, and hide and seek and ringolevio.


Home plate.
It was an amazing thrill for me to stand on the sewer cover that was home plate.




These streets are where I recieved my Pavlovian training to respond by salivating at the Mister Softee Ice Cream jingle. 

This is the neighborhood where I first discovered sexuality.
I think this is the house where Sarah lived - a girl I "asked out" to go to a movies, but the plans fell apart and so did the potential romance. She wore glasses.

Maybe Sarah's house.

When we first moved here I went to school in the neighborhood for a half year - Fourteen Holy Martyrs (lovely name for a grammar school)(I got my first black eye there) - then went back to going to school in Manhattan on the subway every day, which continued through high school.

These hours of transportation is where I truly learned to love reading books.


Every morning I walked to the corner of Wilson Avenue, then the four blocks to the Wilson Street subway station, now on the L line. into Manhattan.





I decided to follow some memories, with something akin to instinct, towards the movie theater I used to go to.  Following the vague nudges from my internal compass I made it to Myrtle and Wycoff Avenues, with brain cells reactivating as I went along, leading me towards the ancient destination.

Walking my bike through a neighborhood where the awnings and facades reflected a disposable cheapness. while below were obvious signs of an older, more solicitous architecture.

Myrtle Avenue
















And then - it was still there! - about a mile from my then home -  obviuosly not functioning for some time, the old stone letters at the top reminded me of the name I would never have regained through memory - Ridgewood Theaterhttp://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2010/08/ridgewood-theatre-auditorium-cannot-be.htmlAnd upon looking it up while I write this I realize that I had crossed over from Brooklyn to Queens.
















One never knows where and how the tempests will toss one. This trip involved a bad bike tire which added up to three flats, and lots of frustration and walking along the way - and about fifty dollars in total repairs - but it was magical through and through.

There were many times along the way that tears came to my eyes as the only person with whom I could truly share many of these places which I was visiting was my mother, and there was no way to reach her and share the wonders any more - she died in 2007.

One of my last memories of my neighborhood in Bushwick was being summoned to come home early from high school - I knew something very serious must have been the reason - walking down my block, which in memory was particularly grey and the trees hanging heavy, to be told that my father had died during the night, a heart attach at 52. He lived in Manhattan and I saw him regularly.

The tempests go on - tossing us towards sorrow, tossing us towards joy.

Hark - a joyous one approaches! - it threatens to toss me into the middle of the desert in Nevada!

And another, sometime later, hopefully, will toss me back to Brooklyn on 9 September 2010, by then home again for over two months.

Comments