World of Wonders.

A couple weeks flew by as much of my time was funneled into preparing for Burning Man - my sixth year in a row.  Then, one week there - plus time getting to and from, followed by a few days of readjusting - and a month has gone by.

Now I am temptest-tossed back into this Default World - this outrageous metropolis called New York City - this magical kingdom of Brooklyn.

My mind aglow with the fantastic art I have been exposed to in the past weeks at Burning Man, I wanted to get another look at a place I had passed numerous times in wanderings around my neighborhood - the wondrous Broken Angel House.  
(Click on name/link for story, and on images to enlarge.)




Among the delights: "In the kitchen (a dusty landing littered with tools), a piece of PVC pipe is built into the only wall. Peering through it, one's eye is guided to another pipe in an exterior wall 20 feet away. Through these pipes the viewer can read the clock on the Williamsburg Bank more than a mile away."


Comments

humm... I read about this house some years ago. probably the article you linked to here. Great to see your photos of it. do you know what is happening with the building now? or where Cynthia and Arthur Wood are?
aleXander hirka said…
The most recent news I could find - good article - alas, Cynthia Wood died this January.

http://gothamist.com/2010/02/13/broken_angel_house_creator_dies_at.php

The whole top of the house visible in one of the photos is gone.

"Cynthia Wood is survived by her husband Arthur Wood, her daughter Elizabeth and her son Christopher. She was grandmother to 4 children; Sebastian, Tabitha, Sabrina and Emma. Hopefully her creative legacy will continue to survive bringing a little bit of magic to the Brooklyn skyline"
aleXander hirka said…
http://observer.com/2014/05/on-the-market-broken-angel-house-bites-the-dust-condos-are-in-the-works/#axzz31XW8lEND