A Slight Summer Adventure

How many summer days I spent at Coney Island as I child I do not know, maybe just a dozen, but the memories of those days in the 1950s hold a special place, scented with the fragrances, the aromas of varieties of foods being grilled, the woodsmell of the sun-baked board-walk itself, the salty brininess of the ocean.

Two weeks away from living in Brooklyn for one year.  A group art show opening this Friday in Williamsburg (at Skink Ink Fine Art Editions) - the first exhibition of my work in the city since I moved here.  Working on a new website to get my work out there, hoping to have it ready by July 1. Still unemployed - though two days ago another interview at Trader Joe's.

It was a day to escape - to unstress by basking in the rays of the sun.  Jump on the F train to the end of the line. My co-conspirator T. Remington, Tammy, joined me on her day off from work for this slight adventure. Reading books, eating hot dogs & fried clams, and the best part - watching people.











 










(Click on images to enlarge.)

As Jonathan Richman put it, in his wonderful song "The Beach" . . .

Well now the beach be one of the best things we've got
Because its not what you have on - but what you have not.
No more silly clothes for you - no more shoe no necktie too. . .

Well a fashion show is there for you to see.
See whose bum you like the best - see whose got a hairy chest.
And the beach be one of the best things there be . . .

Cruddy sugar lemonade - but I love people when they're on parade
Well the beach be one of the best things I know . . .

And I want that stink - and I want that sweat
In fact the beach be better than most things get.
The beach be one of the best things we got
Where its not what you have on - but what you have not.



  






Manhattan skyline visible in far-off distance.


Comments